A: The last thing I want to see is to lose face before my friends.
我最不想見到的事情就是在朋友面前丟臉。
B: That’s really unbearable.
那真是令人難堪呀。
A: But you know, things cannot always go as you expect.
但是你也應該知道,事情并不是如人所愿。
B: So get prepared for everything.
所以對任何事情都要有思想準備。
地道表達:
lose face
解詞釋義:
該詞語源于漢語的“丟臉”。據說是一些近代在中國經商的英國人介紹到英語中的。此后他們又創(chuàng)造了一些列類似的成語,例如:save face(保全面子),a loss of face(丟面子),face-saving(失面子的)。
支持范例:
He tried to conceal his mistake so as not to lose face.
他知道他錯了,但怕丟面子而不敢承認。
If Tom doesn't keep his promise, he'll lose face.
如果湯姆不信守諾言,他就會丟面子。
They were afraid of risking failure because they didn' t want to lose face.
他們怕冒失敗的風險,因為他們不愿意丟臉。
I'm his daughter, after all, it doesn't mater if I lose face.
反正就是他的女兒,丟個臉也沒什么的。
詞海拾貝:
get ( be ) prepared for:為......做好準備
Eg. You must be prepared for disillusionment.
你一定要做好失望的準備。
Eg. We should be prepared for any contingency.
我們應該對任何應急情況有所準備。
Eg. She has got well prepared for the test.
她對考試已有充分的準備。
Eg. The bridal suite got prepared for the reception of the honeymooners.
新婚套間已準備好以接待度蜜月的人。
句海拾貝:
Thing cannot always go as you expect.
事情并非總是如你所愿。
更多信息請查看生活口語